08 May 2012

Book Review!


Summary: Speak, published in 1999, is Laurie Halse Anderson's young adult novel that tells the story of Melinda Sordino's rape, recovery, and confession. After being raped at a party, Melinda is ostracized by her peers because she will not say why she called the police. Unable to verbalize what happened, Melinda nearly stops speaking altogether expressing her voice through the art she produces for Mr. Freeman's class. This expression slowly helps Melinda acknowledge that she was raped, face her attacker, and recreate her identity.

I actually watched the movie before reading this book, something I usually don't do. This book is one of the best books I've read in a while. The style and tone was different for any book I've ever read. Although the subject matter is a little dark, I really enjoyed this book. I've acquired a copy of another of this authors books, called Wintergirls (it was one of the books offered for World Book Night). I'll let ya'll know what I think when I'm done!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Laurie is a wonderful writer. Speak will always be a favorite for me. I read it while writing my own YA novel. One that I have since shredded, but Speak was so helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete